Friday 11 May 2012

My UK School Games Experience 2012

By Jane Anderson

On the way to the airport I was feeling quite nervous about going away, and running in the Olympic stadium!

When I got to the airport my nerves settled a bit as I knew most of the Athletic Team. One of my best friends was there Erin Quinn. We roomed together which was really good fun but also good for our performances as we are equally focused on competing.

After we got to the hotel we got our rooms and kits sorted and it was a quick change to go to the opening dinner for the UKSG at the Excel Centre. All the different teams were at the dinner and the whole Northern Ireland team sat together. This allowed us to get to know the athletes from the other sports and get some full team photos.


On the second day we went to the Excel Centre to watch all the different sports, and to get our lunch and dinner. I watched badminton, volleyball and gymnastics! The gymnastics was amazing! On the third day we went to the Excel Centre again to watch more sports like hockey, netball and fencing.


At last racing day arrived! When I woke up I didn’t feel nervous. I went and got breakfast and got ready to leave for the Olympic Stadium. It wasn’t until I got on the bus that the nerves hit me. When I got to the stadium I was excited my nerves had went away it was amazing the stadium was massive! I had the time of my life in London, the racing was amazing I had a good race until I hit my knee and nearly fell!


I came 6th but it was the experience that counts. I loved every moment of it. I ran 12.3 not the personal best I was hoping for but I can put this down to experience. The Olympic stadium was fantastic! Best thing I’ve ever done in my whole life.

Thank you to all the Northern Ireland Team Managers who help make this experience possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment